The Iraqi Foreign Ministry announced its position on the events that took place Saturday in Dohuk governorate, which led to the death of a citizen and injuring several others.
A statement issued by the Iraqi Foreign Ministry that "the ministry condemns the Turkish forces who opened the fire on the citizens in the area of Shiladezi, and the oqda of Sabri within the district of Amadiyah, Dohuk province, which led to the fall of a victim and a number of wounded, followed by Turkish military aircraft to fly at low altitudes, What caused the panic among citizens. "
"We express our regret for the victims and losses, the Foreign Ministry will call the Turkish ambassador to Baghdad, and received a memorandum of protest about the incident and demand not to repeat it."
The minister pointed out that "the sovereignty of Iraq and the security of its citizens lies primarily within the responsibilities of the Iraqi government, stressing on the Iraq's firm condemnation of any violation against Iraq's security, sovereignty or the use of its territory to attack the security and safety of any neighboring countries."
BRUMADINHO, Brazil (Reuters) - Brazilian rescue workers halted searches for the night on Saturday for hundreds of people missing and feared dead under a sea of mud after a tailings dam burst at an iron ore mine owned by Vale SA, killing at least 34 people
The dam ruptured on Friday, releasing a torrent of mining waste that slammed into Vale’s facilities and cut through a nearby community, leaving a roughly 150-meter-wide (500-foot-wide) wake of destruction stretching for miles (km).
The Minas Gerais state fire department, which gave the latest confirmed death toll, also said 23 people had been sent to hospitals.
Some 250 people remained missing, according to a list released by Vale. All of those missing are Vale employees or contractors, a police spokesman said.
The search is set to resume on Sunday morning.
Firefighters focussed their hopes for finding survivors on a trapped bus and train, along with mining facilities and nearby homes that were buried in mud after the dam break at Vale’s Corrego do Feijao mine near the town of Brumadinho.
Now retired, Maj. Gen. Howard ‘Dallas’ Thompson was once Chief of Staff at US Northern Command in Ohio. In a column published by The Hill on Thursday, Thompson argues that military leaders have neglected to develop proper defenses against the hypersonic threat.
There have been some calls for the US to pursue hypersonic weapons in defense policy circles, but America has lagged behind China – which conducted more tests in the last year than the US has is a decade – and Russia, which successfully tested such a missile in December. The ‘Avangard’ missile flew at Mach 27, and will be deployed in 2019.
At present, the US Missile Defense Agency’s sensors and radars are designed for one purpose: to counter an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) fired by an adversary like Iran or North Korea. ICBMs have a predictable flight path, and the US’ Patriot and Terminal High-Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) batteries stand a reasonable chance of intercepting and destroying any incoming missiles.
Not so with hypersonics. Missiles like ‘Avangard’ fly low and fast, evading radar detection. They can also engage in evasive maneuvers to dodge surface-to-air rockets or missiles, further lowering the chances of a successful interception.
“The stark reality is that our current missile defense systems, as well as our operational mindset, are simply incapable versus this threat,” Thompson wrote. The retired General’s words are backed up by a recent report from the Government Accountability Office, which concluded that there are “no existing countermeasures” against the threat.
While the Pentagon plans to field hypersonic weapons by 2025, and has made some progress towards developing an interceptor to defend against them, Thompson claims that a massive collaborative program between the Department of Defense and arms companies is needed to counter Russian and Chinese advances.
“Countering this threat will require U.S. investment in an extensive defensive architecture,” he wrote. “...a highly robust ‘family of systems’ that nonetheless must be envisioned, designed, developed and deployed in a completely holistic manner.”
Until such a system can be developed, Russia is pulling ahead in the hypersonic race.
“We know for certain, it’s an obvious fact and our colleagues realize it, that we surpassed all our competitors in this area,”Russian President Vladimir Putin said last October. “Nobody has precise hypersonic weapons. Some plan to test theirs in 18 to 24 months. We have them in service already.”
BAKU / Trend
BP and its partners invested $ 28 billion in the development of a giant gas field in Azerbaijan (Shah Deniz gas condensate field), and this can only be the beginning of a story.
According to Trend, this was reported by Bloomberg, regional president of BP for Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey, Gary Jones.
According to him, the company intends to drill six new exploration wells in the country by 2020.
If his expectations are met, the company may discover a new gas field with reserves approximately equal to Shah Deniz, the report said.
“Along with Brazil, Azerbaijan is one of our priorities for the next few years. For us, this exploration program is very important, because we see great potential in the Caspian, ”said Jones.
According to him, gas reserves in the Shafag-Asiman structure, where BP intends to drill wells this year, may be equal to the Shah Deniz-2 field. He added that the drilling on the structure is scheduled for the end of 2019.
It should be noted that Shah Deniz-2 is the starting point of the new Southern Gas Corridor, through which Caspian gas will first enter the European market. In the framework of the second stage of development, the field will produce an additional 16 billion cubic meters of gas per year. Of these, six billion will be delivered to Turkey, and 10 billion - to Europe. During the peak period, gas production from the Shah Deniz field will reach 26 billion cubic meters of gas per year and 120,000 barrels per day.
The contract for the development of the offshore Shah Deniz field was signed on June 4, 1996.
In accordance with the documents signed on December 17, 2013 in Baku, the contract for the development of Shah Deniz was extended from 2036 to 2048, and the share of SOCAR and BP (project operator) in the project increased to 16.7 percent and 28.8 percent, respectively.
Share distribution among the parties to the agreement: BP - operator (28.8 percent), AzSD (10 percent), SGC Upstream (6.7 percent), Petronas (15.5 percent), Lukoil (10 percent), NICO (10 percent) and TPAO (19 percent).
Proved reserves of the field are 1.2 trillion cubic meters of gas and 240 million tons of condensate.
Lima - Peru
The Venezuelan embassy was attacked that led to the burning of large parts of the building and the injury of diplomatic personnel there in a disastrous move after the suspension of Venezuelan relations with Peru.
The Venezuelan FM minister wrote on Twitter after the embassy of his country was severely assaulted in Peru and injured at the Venezuelan embassy:
"We put the responsibility on the Peruvian government in terms of the attack on our diplomatic personnel and our embassy in Lima, which has been subjected to several attacks today, including a group of outlaws who entered the building.
Earlier in the day, the Peruvian government summoned the interim commissioner in Venezuela after Nicolas Maduro took office until 2025.
As The Peruvian government describes the new Maduro period as illegitimate and put all its fully supports to the National Assembly - the one-seat parliament of the country, which is controlled by the opposition but effectively excluded from the political life of the country.
The Peruvian Foreign Ministry confirmed the ban on Maduro himself and 100 officials from his administration from entering the country, and also banned banking institutions in Peru from establishing ties with financial institutions in Venezuela.
On Thursday, Nicolas Maduro was sworn in as Venezuela's president for 2019-2025. Modoro won a new six-year term in Venezuela's May 20, 2018 election, but his main rivals rejected the election results, Referring to widespread irregularities.
Researchers at the University of Exeter and University of Brighton found they could rejuvenate senescent cells, cells that had stopped their natural growth cycle,causing them to start to divide again. The experiment found they not only look younger, but also behave like younger cells.
“When I saw some of the cells in the culture dish rejuvenating I couldn't believe it. These old cells were looking like young cells. It was like magic,” researcher Dr. Eva Latorre said. “I repeated the experiments several times and in each case the cells rejuvenated. I am very excited by the implications and potential for this research.”
The research builds on earlier findings that showed ‘splicing factor’ genes switch off as humans age. Scientists found a way to restart the splicing through chemicals.
According to the researchers, this could change the way we age, with the hope that humans will experience less of the degeneration that comes with aging. Older people are more likely to have strokes, heart disease and other illnesses, but with cell rejuvenation, this could be decreased.
“This demonstrates that when you treat old cells with molecules that restore the levels of the splicing factors, the cells regain some features of youth,” team leader Professor Lorna Harries said. They are able to grow, and their telomeres - the caps on the ends of the chromosomes that shorten as we age - are now longer, as they are in young cells. Far more research is needed now, to establish the true potential for these sort [sic] of approaches to address the degenerative effects of ageing. ”
MEXICO CITY (Sputnik) -
Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Jose Valencia suggested that WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who has found shelter at Ecuador’s embassy in London, should surrender to the UK authorities.
The whistleblower has been living in the Ecuadorian embassy since 2012. The UK authorities have maintained a warrant for Assange's arrest, issued after he breached bail conditions linked to an investigation in Sweden. The Swedish authorities have since dropped their investigation. Assange is fearing potential extradition to the United States, as WikiLeaks has published a number of classified documents, allegedly leaked from US government agencies.
The foreign minister reiterated calls on Assange to comply with a protocol for his stay at the embassy.
Last year, the Ecuadorian authorities introduced the home rules, restricting Assange’s visits and communications. The whistleblower’s lawyers challenged the decision in the court saying the restrictions violated Assange’s rights. Moreover, Assange has suggested that he has been spied on in the embassy. However, Assange's appeal was dismissed by an Ecuadorian court in December.